Thursday, April 10, 2008

Adik-adikku....


As far as I can remember, I've lots of 'adiks' since schooling especially when I was a senior at STF, JB but none was my 'adik angkat' (pet sisters/brothers). I don't have a 'kakak angkat' neither. Kak Dina, a senior of mine took me as her pet sister when I arrived STF but I 'broke off' with her the next week because I don't like to be bothered by these 'unneccessary' matters. I was the only one in STF at that time without any pet sisters.. (I believe...).
Then, when I was briefly in Form Lower 6, my friends persuaded me to have one just for fun. So, I sent my friend, Afidah to see Rozlin Abdul Ghaffar and asked her whether she wanted to be my pet sis. And she said yes...and that was the beginning of a very short and bizzare life of mine in STF. But, yes, it was fun because Sellin (rozlin) was a very happy go lucky person. We would be laughing all the way whenever we met. She was also a school hockey player, a goal keeper. I remembered watching her playing in one of the tournaments and when STF was announced as the winner, she came running to me who was standing outside the line and shouted, "K.Yong, Lin menang!" Nobody had done this to me before. The feeling was overwhelmed.
That was 1984, I left school that year and went to SMS muar for the TOEFL course and headed to the US in 1985. We got in touch with each other in 1989 when she passed by Philadelphia on her US tour that year. She got married in the US and sent me her wedding picture. Then we lost contact with each other again...It's been on and off for a few years after that. However, last year, I got her new phone no from a friend. Wow! She still recognized my voice and how excited she was to be able to talk to me again.. She's in Kuantan now, an English teacher in a secondary school with four kids and the same husband to manage. I miss those short but happy times I had with u, Sellin. Hope we could meet again.
I'll tell u about my other adiks in my next column. Jun, Siti Rahmah, Krashen, Halimah, Midi, those adiks in the Philadelphia, Cholchester, Melbourne and KMK. Till then, enjoy thy weekends!

No comments: