Monday, May 6, 2013

PRU 13...Overseas voter: A Malaysian story shared

As the PRU 13 is passed and done, there are a lot of things that need to be reflected examined. We can always blame our 'the other party' but personally, I think we'd also better look at our 'own side's' flaws.  I really enjoyed the whole process of the election this time around beginning from the Nomination Day ( I was at Kota Bharu that time and got a glimpse of Dato' Nik Aziz's soft spoken but wise and maturedly speech. He is a real crowd puller) till yesterday, the Election Day.

Rockets always fly to the Moon in Kelantan, it seems...

 
I didn't buy the newspaper today since I already knew the results before I went to bed last night. However, this  article@opinion by an overseas voter caught my eyes as I was browsing the internet. And, I'd like to share it with the readers of my blog....

"As a Malaysian working overseas, I am exercising my rights to vote and was happy to know I could register as an Overseas voter for the coming 13th General Elections. Malaysia is my home, and I'm eager to be part of this exciting time of the year. But I've been facing problems with fellow Malaysians who scoff at my decision to vote, as well as the technical problems when registering as an Overseas Voter online.
To my fellow Malaysian who claims that I am “political” and “patriotic” when encouraging her to register and vote as an Overseas voter, please understand that:
  • Absentee postal voting is a new process and a very momentous occasion shaping the history of our country. You may scoff at the idea that this process is already available in the United States and other countries, but since it is now available for you - why not vote? You may think that results for overseas voters may be rigged, no election process is perfect. There are other countries with worse election corruption - have faith in your own country’s election process. Even in America, not too long ago, women were not allowed to vote. Yet you also do not get to vote in the United States because to this day you are still a Malaysian citizen. The right to vote is a fundamental human right in a democratic society. Exercise that right.
  • I am not political for I do not partake in any rallies or side one party more than the other. I am educating myself on the policies and platforms of the parties, think critically and make an educated decision come voting day. This being why your parents sent you to study abroad so you have an equal chance at education and are trained to think. This also being why you are living in the US all these years as there is freedom of speech in the press and you can obtain unbiased Malaysian news and make a judgement for yourself. By abstaining to vote and showing apathy for your own country’s politics, you reflect yourself to be very naive and ignorant.
  • I am as patriotic as the next person who criticizes about Malaysia. For the better part of our lives up until starting tertiary education in US, you and I both grew up in a time when Malaysia was developing and prospering. It may have taken some necessary evil to do so, but that was the past. You and I both have families still in Malaysia. We do not have children, but our family and friends have children and we still want to call ourselves Malaysians. The future of Malaysia needs a different direction, and the change starts now. After all these years of living in the US, you can realize that America is not perfect and know there is some good in our racial unity and the quality of Malaysian education and healthcare.
By abstaining to vote, you reflect yourself to be very naive and ignorant.

To the Election Commission:
  • Please have English translation for ease of understanding official announcements, application forms and instruction process. I am sure most Malaysians living abroad will not understand the formal Bahasa Malaysia as well. Or have your instructions and guides on forms in a less formal language and more ‘idiot’ proof. Google translated English on such forms are also difficult to make sense.
  • Please understand that not everyone abroad lives near a Malaysian consulate. Information needs to be disseminated sooner so that we can plan and make travel arrangements ahead of time. With only a one week notice of going to consulate between 9am-6pm on Sunday, the cost of plane ticket to get there is almost USD$500. Thankfully it is the weekend.
  • I will give them the benefit of the doubt since this is the first time, but when contacting officials in the consulate department, most do not have any idea what to do or what the process is. Perhaps there should be clearer communication between EC and Consulate

    Source: 
    http://news.malaysia.msn.com/elections/overseas-voter-a-malaysian-story-shared



    A special voter no..999
     
    'Saluran 3' queue...I waited 45 minutes before I could cast my vote.


    My daughter's friend's father...:) LAIN KALI la..nampaknya.

    I was wondering...why the whole finger? It could be just a line on the finger..I think this process was the reason behind the long queue...



    Well, this next time ....PRU14 ('another' mother of all PRUs?)

    *** Sorry for the unreversable  pictures.

No comments: