Tuesday, January 13, 2009

My long lost friend


Have u ever met someone and he/she became one of your friends that brightened up your life during 'winter'. Then, he's gone, don't know where...no news what so ever till now?

Yes, I have one...His name is *** ( a long one actually). His tall, quite handsome but a bit skinny and very rugged looking He liked to wear torned and worn out jeans and always had this 'key' on his head). He's known among our friends for his talent in music and singing. He could play guitar beautifully and he has a nice voice too (During summer he always played guitar and sang M. Nasir's songs at the pavement. Some Americans would mistakenly thought that he was a beggar. So, they would throw some coins at him when they passed by).
*** was actually a brilliant student but due to some 'personal' problems that he had, he seldomly went to class. "Ponteng kelas' is part of his life back in the States. However, he was excellent at practical subjects. He once told me that he scored A in his practical Electrical Engineering subject. Unfortunately he failed almost all of his written exams because he didn't study at all. he said that he was too lazy to read any books.

I was not that close to him till I asked him to repair my walkman. He took only about half an hour to fix it. Indeed he was an excellent mechanical person.
"Ini rambut sapa ni? Aku jumpa dalam walkman. Patutla tak jalan!" I remembered him saying that with some strands of hair, my hair... in his hands.
But I just laughed when he said that.

I also had some other 'funny' moments with ***. He once pushed the elevator stop button between floor 6 and 7 just to scare me. There were only 2 of us in the elevator. We just came home from attending class.

"Engkau makan pisang ni...berat sangat. Sebab tu lift tak jalan."
"Engkau tak makan pisang ke?" I asked him back.
"Nope! aku makan apple hijau. Baru 3 kalori. Pisang tu 100 kalori tau?"


I told him that I would scream if he kept on scaring me like that. He just laughed. As I was about to open my mouth and scream, he quickly pressed the green (on) button and the elevator moved up. He laughed and laughed until I stepped out from the elevator at the floor where I stayed.

"Engkau mengumpat pasal aku ya, semalam? Aku tau la...Aku ada pasang camera dengan speaker sekali dalam apartment engkau." he also told me one day
" Mana ada?" (The puzzle thing is...yes, my housemates and I did talk about this weirdo that night.
"Oo..tak mengaku ya?"
"Kat mana engkau bubuh?"
"dalam bathroom."

I don't know whether he was telling the truth or not but my friends and I were having the conversation at the living room, not the bathroom! However, whenever we enter the bathroom we would always looked at every corner of the room to see if we could find any camera or speakers.


*** always have some problems with money. He's not very good at savings but he never borrowed any money from friends. He will 'sell' some of his belongings in order to get some income. I bought his yamaha keyboard unwillingly due to my pitiness for him. He was really out of cash...And where did he spend all his money? Not on clothes or food? Guess what? On the Game Machines! When we were busy going to classes, he will be busy playing at the Game Machines...

Till now, all of our friends do not now his whereabouts. Is he married? Or still single? Is he an engineer now? Is he still alive? No one knows...but the keyboard is still with me.

p/s: But these memories can never be compared to the ones that I have with my hubby...

4 comments:

Y said...

Wow,talk about deja vu. I also got a friend similar in character during my first year in the States. We went to the same classes so we sort of hang out together. He's like stone out almost all the time. I remember one time he taught me if I wanna get stoned, all I need to do was grind some panadols and mix them with the tabacco from the cigarette, then put everything back in the casing then light up..well, it was fun knowing things but I never had the courage to do things like that coz' I like to be in control and not lose my head. Hmm, I wonder where he is now..
Well Tearose, you might be surprised if he turns out well...

tearose said...

Yeah, old stories, old friends...

tireless mom said...

Dear Tearose

He could surprise you one of these days. Of course lah moments with hubby mana boleh compare with others.

tearose said...

Coz our first date was at U Penn's 40th street Baskins Robbins, eating ice-cream during winter!